Last updated on March 19, 2021
This tutorial helps you create a table of contents in a Word document on a daily basis while you create a Word document with multiple pages. Also manage multiple headers and subtitles in table of contents, then edit, edit and delete table of contents on MS Word. Using this article, create the contents index of the entire Doc file on the first page or wherever you want.
we will be happy to help you, submit this form, if your solution is not covered in this article.
Later we can update the titles, create subtitles in the table of contents. also know how to update page numbers in table of contents in Microsoft Word 365, 2007, 2013, 2016. we have prepared a how-to video tutorial, given in the last of this article.
Use the Verity of Table of Contents design to make this attractive. Let’s see.
This table of contents in Microsoft Word will work as links or hyperlinks. Just click on the header and jump to the Word document by skipping that content.
Step of Creating a Table of Contents in Microsoft Word on Mac and Windows
- Apply headers in whole documents first. To create subtitles, use the title number [Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, Heading 4, and Heading 5] in a hierarchy. Title 2 will become a subtitle of Title 1, Title 3 will become a subtitle of Title 2, and so on.
Type Headers available on the Home tab in a Word document.
- add a new page at the top of the table of contents or Move the header time to a new page using the Page Break function. Keep the cursor at the position when adding a new blank page or when moving to a new page. Go to Insert tab> Select blank page to add a new page or a page break for moving to another page.
- Add a table of contents, keep a blank page using the step above, and add a table of contents in the first bank page by following the step below,
- Keep the cursor on the first blank page, select Preferences section> Select table of contents> here is a list of predefined table formats > Select one of them and automatically add a table of contents.
- That’s all.
- If you are make changes to documents, such as moving content to a new page or changing captions.
- so you have to modify the table of contents after the changes are applied to Microsoft Word. Follow the next topic.
Edit the existing table of contents in Microsoft Word
This means you need to update the title types, Remove or add new Headingd or change table of contents page number in Word file.
All of this is possible with the simple step.
- Select the table of contents in the Word document, click the down arrow icon near the table of contents. and Select Update Table.
- Now the document will ask to update the table to, “Update page number only” or “Update the entire table“. select the preferred option and click ok to apply the changes on the table of contents in the Word table at the top of the document. Or Correct the page number in the table of contents in Word, if you added content or moved content to a new page using a page break.
- See The introduction is added in the titles, in the same way, Create captions in table of contents in Word, move any headline into subtitle, headline 2, headline 3, 4, or 5. Ten table updates to see changes.
if the table is not updated or apply the changes with an error. Next, I recommend making another copy of the document file, then deleting the word’s table of contents and recreating the new table of contents. and the reasons for not updating the table are because the format is not valid or your version of Microsoft Office does not support the changes.
Add appendix to table of contents in Word
The appendix automatically applies to the Word table of contents. to make changes like this,
- Give a numbering to the headers.
- and use Increase Indent to apply Appendix to other subtitles or Use Decrease Indent to remove from the header and Also change the numbering format.
Once you apply numbering to all headers in a document, Update the table of contents to a Word file. By selecting Table and clicking Arrow> Update Table.
Update the entire table and OK. to apply the changes on Table.
Change the design of table of contents in Word
Create your custom design and style on the table of contents in Word. Apply these changes directly in the Word document from the Design tab.
- Select a table and enter Design section. then, select the pre-ready design, Apply a new color from the Color option, and Apply different font styles under the Fonts option.
- Also see more options for paragraph spacing, page color, page border, etc.…
Delete table of contents in Word
In such cases, users should delete the table of contents in Microsoft Word. Don’t worry, deleting the table of contents from Word child won’t remove data like headers or more. This action will delete the table from the file only. If you are not sure, keep a backup of the file before applying the changes to a large file.
- Select the table of contents from a Word file.
- and, Click the down arrow, for options, select Delete table of contents.
- That’s all.
Video tutorial: creating a table of contents
Share your comment below, if you’re looking for more help! Also share with your friends to help others.